How do the best sales leaders create a culture that enables top producers to thrive?
In the enclosed video, I map out five leadership keys to creating a winning sales culture.
- Be a culture champion. Culture is a reflection of how we lead, and it starts with you. What’s your vision for success? How are you putting people in a position to succeed? Make sure you communicate courageously and consistently. Everyone is watching.
- Be a performance coach. If you expect a high level of accountability and performance from your employees, lead by example. Make sure everyone understands what they can expect from you (and, in turn, what you expect from them).
- Be a teacher. We know that buyers are looking for added value from vendors and sellers. Arm your team with information by promoting a culture of continuous learning. Encourage your employees to share best practices, learn from outside the organization, and keep on pursuing their own professional development. Be a student of your industry, and make sure your employees do the same.
- Be a change agent. In the new economy, the organizations and leaders who look at every change through the lens of opportunity are better positioned to win. Invite change and innovation and challenge everyone to contribute ideas that help the team improve.
- Be a mad scientist. Immerse yourself in the rich data that’s available about your buyers and sellers and use it to make more informed decisions. Quantify your sales strategy decisions with intelligence.
My new ebook, Leading Breakthrough Sales Performance, looks at how sales leaders can create teams of informed, motivated, savvy sellers that are ready to meet buyers’ new expectations. Download the ebook for case studies from dynamic sales leaders at HP, Grainger, the Dallas Cowboys, MassMutual and Medline.
Ryan Estis & Associates is a training and development organization helping companies, leaders, sales people and individual contributors embrace change and achieve breakthrough performance in the new economy. We offer keynotes, live classroom training and online learning that blends interaction, energy and actionable content designed to elevate performance. Contact us for programming inquiries and assistance determining the curriculum that could best support your learning and development objectives.