Three Questions to Ask After a Sales Engagement
Posted July 1, 2013 by Ryan Estis in Sales
You hang up the phone. You press “Send” on an email. You hop in a cab after a lunch meeting.
How do you know that the sales engagement you just completed was a success?
After every single contact with a lead, you should be asking yourself a few crucial questions to gauge your progress and performance.
Ask yourself these three questions at the end of every sales engagement:
1. What commitment did I earn?
Earning a commitment can sound like a weighty goal, but a commitment can be any kind of small “yes” from the customer. Remember the law of incremental commitment and aim for a series of small commitments that lead to a win.
2. What are the defined next steps and the timeline around the commitment?
It’s important to hold your customer accountable to the commitment that they’ve made. Define clear next steps and a timeline so that you and your customer are on the same page.
3. Did I confirm the commitment in writing and add additional value?
Your role as an ambassador of your company’s brand never ends. Show your customer that you’re a trusted resource: add value to the interaction. Send your customer a link to a relevant industry article. Share an upcoming company webinar. Point out an interesting blog post. Whatever you do, make sure you follow up in writing and give your customer something extra to cement and grow your relationship.
How do you work toward earning commitment from customers?
Ryan Estis & Associates is a training and development organization helping companies, leaders, sales people and individual contributors embrace change and achieve breakthrough performance in the new economy. We offer keynotes, live classroom training and online learning that blends interaction, energy and actionable content designed to elevate performance. Contact us for programming inquiries and assistance determining the curriculum that could best support your learning and development objectives.
About The Author
Ryan Estis is a Keynote Speaker & Management Consultant blogging about business performance.
Speaking Preview Video
Subscribe to the Blog
- Do Customers Respond To Your Email Pitch?
- How to Get the Most Out of Feedback
- Managing Mystique: How Ritz-Carlton Delivers Amazing Customer Service
- How to Shorten the Sales Cycle
- 9 Leadership Lessons from the Best Boss I Ever Had
- Blowing Up the Performance Review: Interview with Adobe’s Donna Morris
- This Is What Happened When I Completely Changed My Approach to Sales
- Business Can Turn On A Dime
- The Transition from Top Producer to Sales Leader
- 5 Keys to More Persuasive Communication