Video: Navigating the New World of Leadership
Posted October 31, 2013 by Ryan Estis in Leadership
It’s no secret that the experience economy is disrupting the status quo. When the market moves, leaders are faced with the difficult task of staying ahead of the curve.
I recently spoke with Sheldon Senek at Eagles Talent Speakers Bureau about how leaders can navigate this changing landscape and leverage it as an opportunity.
One of the trends that we discussed is the shift from traditional to collaborative leadership. Employees have higher expectations than ever, and there’s a major gap between what they expect from leadership and what they’re getting. Here are a few eye-opening numbers about leadership and performance.
- Only 39% of employees report having trust in senior leadership. (Source: Watson Wyatt)
- 65% of the US workforce is classified as under-engaged. (Source: Modern Survey)
So, what can leaders do to narrow the gap between employee expectations and workplace reality? An important element of successful leadership is putting people in a position to be successful. Great leaders know that leadership isn’t about them — it’s about team success. One of the best leadership lessons I’ve learned is: If it involves people, involve them. Give people a voice and empower them to make choices that impact the business. People work harder to drive results when they have a stake in the outcome.
Watch the full video interview below for insights on the the changing business landscape.
Ryan Estis & Associates is a training and development organization helping companies, leaders, sales people and individual contributors embrace change and achieve breakthrough performance in the new economy. We offer keynotes, live classroom training and online learning that blends interaction, energy and actionable content designed to elevate performance. Contact us for programming inquiries and assistance determining the curriculum that could best support your learning and development objectives.
About The Author
Ryan Estis is a Keynote Speaker & Management Consultant blogging about business performance.
Speaking Preview Video
Subscribe to the Blog
- Do Customers Respond To Your Email Pitch?
- How to Get the Most Out of Feedback
- Managing Mystique: How Ritz-Carlton Delivers Amazing Customer Service
- How to Shorten the Sales Cycle
- 9 Leadership Lessons from the Best Boss I Ever Had
- Blowing Up the Performance Review: Interview with Adobe’s Donna Morris
- This Is What Happened When I Completely Changed My Approach to Sales
- Business Can Turn On A Dime
- The Transition from Top Producer to Sales Leader
- 5 Keys to More Persuasive Communication