Sales Auditing Improves Results
As a sales leader, what are you inspecting?
Here’s a typical post-sales call conversation:
Sales Manager: “How’d it go?”
Sales Rep: “Great!”
Sales Manager: “Going to get good business out of this one?”
Sales Rep: “Definitely!”
…and then everyone moves on.
Sales leaders have an opportunity to develop and drive performance through a detailed post-call analysis audit. Better questions to consider after a sales call include:
- What are the economic drivers that will influence the customer’s decision?
- What commitment did you earn today? What are the agreed-upon next steps?
- What went well? What would you have done differently? Where can we improve next time?
- Who else could possibly impact the decision?
- How are you going to add value after the call?
Add questions that are relevant to your unique situation, competitive landscape and sales cycle.
Make auditing a consistent practice and part of your sales culture. Ask harder, more detailed questions and guide reps through the importance of creating a detailed, specific sales road map and timeline post-call. You’ll accomplish several things:
- Help sales reps understand how to structure more effective calls and invest more into pre-call planning.
- Reinforce best practices and gain valuable insights to share with the team.
- Create consistent standards and expectations around a quality sales engagement.
- Spend less time going forward time on low-yield opportunities.
- Shorten the sales cycle.
- Drive sales growth.
Auditing and analyzing sales calls and then socializing the best practices and lessons learned is one of the best development opportunities inside a sales organization. Over time, it has a measurable impact on results.
In the enclosed video, I talk through the importance and impact of post-call analysis.
Ryan Estis & Associates is a training and development organization helping companies, leaders, sales people and individual contributors embrace change and achieve breakthrough performance in the new economy. We offer keynotes, live classroom training and online learning that blends interaction, energy and actionable content designed to elevate performance. Contact us for programming inquiries and assistance determining the curriculum that could best support your learning and development objectives.
About The Author
Ryan Estis is a Keynote Speaker & Management Consultant blogging about business performance.
Speaking Preview Video
Subscribe to the Blog
- Do Customers Respond To Your Email Pitch?
- How to Get the Most Out of Feedback
- Managing Mystique: How Ritz-Carlton Delivers Amazing Customer Service
- How to Shorten the Sales Cycle
- 9 Leadership Lessons from the Best Boss I Ever Had
- Blowing Up the Performance Review: Interview with Adobe’s Donna Morris
- This Is What Happened When I Completely Changed My Approach to Sales
- Business Can Turn On A Dime
- 5 Keys to More Persuasive Communication
- The Transition from Top Producer to Sales Leader