Live The Legacy
Posted January 21, 2013 by Ryan Estis in Leadership
Today as we recognize and honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and his legacy, these 10 lessons serve as an inspirational reminder of the opportunity we all have to embrace change, confront challenges and make a difference.
He so eloquently challenged us:
“You may be 38 years old, as I happen to be. And one day, some great opportunity stands before you and calls you to stand up for some great principle, some great issue, some great cause. And you refuse to do it because you are afraid…. You refuse to do it because you want to live longer…. You’re afraid that you will lose your job, or you are afraid that you will be criticized or that you will lose your popularity, or you’re afraid that somebody will stab you, or shoot at you or bomb your house; so you refuse to take the stand.
Well, you may go on and live until you are 90, but you’re just as dead at 38 as you would be at 90. And the cessation of breathing in your life is but the belated announcement of an earlier death of the spirit.”
A powerful reminder to stand up for something you believe in. One of my all time favorite quotes.
So many aspire to leave a legacy. He lived the legacy.
Ryan Estis & Associates is a training and development organization helping companies, leaders, sales people and individual contributors embrace change and achieve breakthrough performance in the new economy. We offer keynotes, live classroom training and online learning that blends interaction, energy and actionable content designed to elevate performance. Contact us for programming inquiries and assistance determining the curriculum that could best support your learning and development objectives.
About The Author
Ryan Estis is a Keynote Speaker & Management Consultant blogging about business performance.
Speaking Preview Video
Subscribe to the Blog
- Do Customers Respond To Your Email Pitch?
- How to Get the Most Out of Feedback
- Managing Mystique: How Ritz-Carlton Delivers Amazing Customer Service
- How to Shorten the Sales Cycle
- 9 Leadership Lessons from the Best Boss I Ever Had
- Blowing Up the Performance Review: Interview with Adobe’s Donna Morris
- This Is What Happened When I Completely Changed My Approach to Sales
- Business Can Turn On A Dime
- The Transition from Top Producer to Sales Leader
- When That Little Voice Whispers: This Is Stupid