What are you doing that isn’t working? At work, in your business, with your team, with your manager? At home, in your relationships, with your health?
You know the answer. But I can ask a different way.
What is an area in your life where you’d like to see improvement or growth?
Real growth usually requires change. Real change often requires consistent effort. That’s why meaningful change can be so hard. We love our habits even when they don’t necessarily serve us well.
To change, you need momentum on your side. To generate a little forward progress, it helps to make a commitment to BLOW UP what isn’t working. Then take action and move boldly and decisively in a new direction toward the outcome you deserve and desire.
Are you ready? Let’s go through the steps that minimize fear and eliminate procrastination. Grab a notebook or journal. It helps to write them down.
10 Steps To Jump Start Change
- What improvement do you want to make? Get specific.
- What is your timeline for the change? Keep momentum by tracking and celebrating progress along the way.
- What habits or behaviors aren’t working or serving you well in this area?
- What habits or behaviors could you embrace that would move you further and faster in that new direction? Identify the required routines and rituals for success.
- What is the cost of not taking action? Get specific. Where will you be 12 months from now if nothing changes? Five years? Ten?
- What will be different if the change materializes? How will that feel for you? Who else would benefit? Create a very real vision of that destination.
- Who else can you enlist to join you on the change journey? Who could partner up or offer real support? Who can hold you accountable to the commitment? Going at it alone is less than ideal. Communicate your commitment to change. It’s okay to ask for help.
- How important is this to you personally/professionally on a scale of 1 – 10? Why?
- Put the personal pledge in writing. Read your commitment out loud. Share the commitment: “I vow to change…I can no longer afford…I am committed to this change because…This change will benefit the people I love because…I am moving forward effective immediately…You get the idea. Sign the commitment vow. Date it. 4/21/2016.
- Make your move! Now is the perfect time to take action. Grab that notebook or journal and go back to Step 1. It’s worth investing a few minutes of time to set up success.
I got my favorite kind of text message yesterday from my old college buddy Steve Burton.
“You up for a challenge, Estis?” (Step 7)
Of course I am! I love a team challenge. I put this post together for our team as we prepare to attack change. I hope it helps you also!
Let’s go to work!
Photo credit from yesterday’s keynote:
— Sasha (@MandeSasha) April 20, 2016
Ryan Estis helps companies and individual contributors embrace change and achieve breakthrough performance. Each live event blends original research with compelling stories that move participants to take action. Ryan has 20 years of business experience working with the world’s best brands to initiate change, inspire innovation and deliver growth. Learn more about Ryan Estis.