Which Generation Is the Most Engaged at Work?
Posted August 18, 2014 by Ryan Estis in Employee Engagement
Our conventional wisdom about managing millennials is often proven false when we look at the research. In the video below, Modern Survey’s Don MacPherson and I continue our conversation about employee engagement. We’ve already defined engagement and talked about who owns and affects employee engagement. Now, we’re narrowing our attention to the millennial generation.
While Millennials get a reputation in the media for being lazy or noncommittal, Modern Survey’s data shows that they’re the most engaged generation. 18% of Millennials are fully engaged at work (compared to just 12 or 13% of Gen Y and Baby Boomers).
Millennials do want slightly different things out of work, but the differences in generation are slight and nuanced. Watch the video to learn more.
Understanding different generations at work is one of the most pressing diversity issues we face. Great leaders have an opportunity to rise above the stereotypes and facilitate meaningful conversations about what all employees expect from work — which leads to improved understanding, collaboration and results.
Learn more about the role leaders play in employee engagement. Download my white paper, Winning with Culture: How Leadership Drives Engagement and Performance, to read more research from Modern Survey and learn from leaders at best-in-class companies.
Ryan Estis helps progressive companies embrace change, attack opportunity and achieve breakthrough performance. Delivering more than 75 live events annually, Ryan provides high-impact keynote presentations and professional development in partnership with the world’s best brands. Learn more about Ryan.
About The Author
Ryan Estis is a Keynote Speaker & Management Consultant blogging about business performance.
Speaking Preview Video
Subscribe to the Blog
- Do Customers Respond To Your Email Pitch?
- How to Get the Most Out of Feedback
- Managing Mystique: How Ritz-Carlton Delivers Amazing Customer Service
- How to Shorten the Sales Cycle
- 9 Leadership Lessons from the Best Boss I Ever Had
- Blowing Up the Performance Review: Interview with Adobe’s Donna Morris
- This Is What Happened When I Completely Changed My Approach to Sales
- 5 Keys to More Persuasive Communication
- Business Can Turn On A Dime
- The Transition from Top Producer to Sales Leader