Employee Engagement: The 5 Key Drivers
I recently delivered a webinar on Job Search Strategy. Given the state of the economy I assumed there would be natural interest in new perspective on the topic. I was right. However, I wasn’t entirely right on assumptions about the make up of the audience…I correctly assumed most of the attendees on the call would be looking for a new job (obvious)…what I missed was the notion that many of those same attendees have jobs now…they just want to make a change to something better.
A head down and unhappy workforce will eventually and assuredly inhibit performance. And the notion that job satisfaction is at a twenty year low and employee engagement is plummeting should sound the alarm in the C suite. Happy to have a job? Hardly. Happy to collect a check? Perhaps…but that doesn’t build a sustainable competitive advantage or accelerate shareholder returns.
I subscribe to that premise that if you put your people first, profits follow. Having some insight and very specific opinions about winning with corporate culture I wanted to engage in some meaningful dialogue with an expert on the subject of employee engagement to drill down to the heart of the matter. Simply stated, what are the essential elements that drive engagement?
Colleague Don MacPherson, President of Modern Survey, one of the leading employee engagement survey and research organizations in the world was happy to discuss and dissect the issues top of mind related to culture, engagement and productivity in the workplace. Don has expertise based on over a decade of experience collecting data on engagement trends. These are the facts and 5 Key Drivers of Employee Engagement:
1. Recognition & Appreciation
2. Personal Accomplishment
3. Career Development
4. Belief in the Future of the Organization
5. Compensation (or lack thereof)
Is your organization delivering on the 5 key drivers? If you aren’t sure, Don and the outstanding team at Modern Survey can help you answer that question in very specific and measurable ways.
We caught my conversation with Don on camera anticipating some meaningful dialogue and I will post excerpts with commentary over the next couple weeks. Here is Don identifying and elaborating on the 5 key drivers of employee engagement:
About The Author
Ryan Estis is a Keynote Speaker & Management Consultant blogging about business performance.
Speaking Preview Video
Subscribe to the Blog
- Do Customers Respond To Your Email Pitch?
- How to Get the Most Out of Feedback
- Managing Mystique: How Ritz-Carlton Delivers Amazing Customer Service
- How to Shorten the Sales Cycle
- 9 Leadership Lessons from the Best Boss I Ever Had
- Blowing Up the Performance Review: Interview with Adobe’s Donna Morris
- This Is What Happened When I Completely Changed My Approach to Sales
- Business Can Turn On A Dime
- The Transition from Top Producer to Sales Leader
- When That Little Voice Whispers: This Is Stupid