Lead from a Position of Influence
Posted July 29, 2015 by Ryan Estis in Leadership
Leadership isn’t about tenure or title. It’s about helping people achieve their full potential. It’s about putting people and the organization in a position to succeed. It’s about humility, service, sacrifice and impact on others. It’s about having a compelling vision of the future and connecting others to it.
The best leaders are Futuremakers!
FutureMaker (noun) \ˈfyü-chər ˈmā-kər\ : a person responsible for making the future happen and inspiring others to do the same. (Credit: McGladrey)
FutureMaking requires the ability to lead from a position of influence. In the video below, I think about how leaders can drive change from a position of influence. I challenge leaders to do two things:
- Master the art of two-way communication: Seek first to understand, then to be understood. The best leaders are listeners.
- Have the courage to create a culture of accountability: Go first — be specific about what people can expect from you. Make accountability a standard, consistent leadership practice.
Leadership isn’t a job. It’s a responsibility.
Ryan Estis helps companies and individual contributors embrace change and achieve breakthrough performance. Each live event blends original research with compelling stories that move participants to take action. Ryan has 20 years of business experience working with the world’s best brands to initiate change, inspire innovation and deliver growth. Learn more about Ryan Estis.
About The Author
Ryan Estis is a Keynote Speaker & Management Consultant blogging about business performance.
Speaking Preview Video
Subscribe to the Blog
- Do Customers Respond To Your Email Pitch?
- How to Get the Most Out of Feedback
- Managing Mystique: How Ritz-Carlton Delivers Amazing Customer Service
- How to Shorten the Sales Cycle
- 9 Leadership Lessons from the Best Boss I Ever Had
- Blowing Up the Performance Review: Interview with Adobe’s Donna Morris
- This Is What Happened When I Completely Changed My Approach to Sales
- Business Can Turn On A Dime
- The Transition from Top Producer to Sales Leader
- When That Little Voice Whispers: This Is Stupid